This rice have the goodness of most of the flavors of India – coriander leaves coconut, all the garam masala spices. U keep the rice in different colors in layers in a container of any shape press it tight, heat it slightly and turn it over a serving plate slowly, gently and carefully. And this makes our very beautiful and yummy – ( as my daughter named it ) – Rice Cake :).
No time for Blah Blah… lets start with the ingredients
1. Rice – 3 cups
2. Water (to cook the rice)3
4. Chicken stalk
5. Ghee – 1 tbsp
6. Cinamon – 2, Green cardamom – 4, fennel seeds- 8-10, Black peppercorns – 5-8, bay leaf – 1
1. Soak the washed rice in water for 15 – 20 min
2. Boil the chicken stalk , some water, salt and all the garam masala ingredients.
3. When the water come to a boil add the soaked rice.
Tip : please keep in mind not to reduce the flame to too low, this can cause the rice to loose its texture
4. When the rice is almost done strain out the water from the rice.
Tip: Keep it in a closed container else the rice will loose all the moisture.
5. Divide the rice into 3 portions
Yellow layer (yellow rice):
1. Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
2. Milk – 4 tbsp
1. Mix turmeric powder with milk – making a yellow syrup
2. Mix this a portion of the rice.
Green rice (Chutney with rice):
1. Coriander leaves – 1 cup
2. Grated Coconut – 1/2 cup
3. 2 slices of garlic
4. Jeera (Cumin) – a pinch
5. Salt – a pinch
1. Blend the above ingredients in a mixer making a chutney, add a very little water to get the chutney done
2. Mix this chutney with second portion of rice
Red layer (minced meat masala):
1. Chicken (flesh taken from boiled chicken) or minced meat
2. Onion – 5
3. Tomato – 2
4. green chilly – 2
4. Garlic – 8 and Ginger – 1 small piece (very thinly chopped)
5. Curry leaves, coriander leaves, mint leaves
6. Fried nuts (optional)
7. Ghee – 2 tbsp
8. Oil – 8 tbsp
9. Red chilly powder – 2 tbsp
10. Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
11. Garam Masala – 1 tbsp
12. Vinegar – 1 tbsp
1. Saute the chopped onion in oil. When the onion changes color add the ghee.
Tip: add a little salt so that the onion cooks faster. Be sure that the onion is done well before adding any other ingredient so that it remains no more sweet.
2. Add the chopped garlic, ginger and green chillies, saute for 5 min
3. Add tomatoes, saute it. Put the lid till the tomatoes become soft.
4. Add chilly powder, turmeric powder and garam masala, saute till the raw smell of chilly powder disappears.
5. Add the done meat into the mix, saute for 5 mins, add vinegar, mix well and cook the whole mix closed with a lid for 10-15 min sauteing in between. Switch off , but keep the lid closed.
This is where we can apply our flavor and sense of presentation.
Sample presentation : Take a container of your choice and shape,
1. Put the Yellow rice as a layer, press the layer well with a spoon or spatula or smasher , what ever convenient.
2. Put a layer of Red masala, press well again.
3. Put a layer of Green Rice, press well again
4. Red Masala layer again.
5. and finally White Rice
6. Heat the container in microwave or grill or stove, what ever as available.
When heated enough, keep a serving plate, be sure that the plate have a width larger than the mouth of the container, on the top of the container and turn over the container to the plate. Gently and carefully remove the container so that the shape is not deformed, and Wow, the awaited Ribbon rice is ready.
Tip: U can garnish it with fried onions and nut, any ways for me I have made a tomato rose, What ever it is your creativity and taste.
Serve it hot with raita, Pickle and Pappad 🙂
Enjoy lunch today with Ribbon rice 🙂