Sweet Boli with Palapayasam – Hmm it is a yummy combination and reminds of the onam, the festival of Kerala.
Sweet Boli is a sweet that look like a chappatti, made from Split Chick Peas (Kadala parippu), and maida dough, with sugar and ghee.
Lets see the process …
1. Kadalaparippu (Channa Dal/ Split Chick Pea) – 1 cup
2. Sugar – 1 cup
3. Cardamom powder – 1 tbsp
4. Ghee – 2 tbsp
For maida dough:
1. Maida (All Purpose flour)- 1 Cup
2. Salt – 1 tsp
3. Yellow Color / Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
4. Sesame oil – 3 tbsp
Make the maida dough
1. Mixing maida with salt and turmeric powder / food color and a little water. Dough must have the consistency of roti dough.
2. Cover the dough with Sesame oil and leave it on the counter for 30 min.
Making Channa Dough
2. Pressure cook the channa dal with 3 cups of water.
3. On a medium flame, cook it for one whislte and the switch off the stove and keep it for 5-10 min for the cooker to cool. then open and strain out the excess water.
4. Grind the cooked dal in a mixer into a fine paste, check for ungrounded once and remove it.
5. Transfer the paste to a wok , and over flame add sugar, ghee and Cardamom powder.
6. Saute till all mixed well and the paste gets separated from the wok. This dough will be soft.
Making balls to make into chappatti.
7. Make lemon sized balls of the channa dal mixture, and balls of maida dough
8. Flatten maida dough on your hand, grease hand with oil so that dough doesn’t stick, and keep a ball of channa dal in the maida dough and close the dough from all sides to make a uniform coat of maida all around the dal ball.
9. Prepare all the stuffed balls. (approx 10)
10. Flatten each ball , over a wooden chappatti board, as thin as a chappatti carefully, dusting with rice powder.
11. Heat a tawa, and put 1 prepared sheet over it, ghee is not required, but still if u are too fond of ghee it is fine u can bush each done face with ghee. Turn it over to both sides and remove from tawa.
Tip: Do not put it on tawa for long so that it burn to brown, keep turning sides.
U can fold it as a triangle and serve with Pal Payasam/ Rice gheer, hmm yummy 🙂
Try and Enjoy 🙂